Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Bordering on the Edge!

When I finished the first Christmas quilt back in May, I thought I was so cool and ahead of the game! Well, it's now less than a week before Christmas and I'm scrambling to finish everything up. Amazing what a little time crunch does to push some serious productivity.

Over the weekend I got all of the blocks joined, then last night I got the borders added to my Storybook #2 quilt. On the front I used the same Fairy Frost as some of the blocks and small joining strip for the front border. On the back I used a contrasting dark fabric for the border. I will quilt it with a light purple thread.  It should quilt up pretty quickly, I plan on using Leah Day's Spiral Ornament for the border motif.

I do like the QAYG method I used to add the border. Basically you add the front and back fabric, right sides toward your quilt and just stitch it on with a 1/4" seam. Then zigzag on a piece of batting to the raw edge of your quilt. Flip and press the border fabric over the batting and Voila borders!
So, considering that last Saturday, my Storybook 2 quilt was just a pile of quilted blocks and today, all I have left is to quilt the border and bind. I'm pleased with my progress.

But the week wouldn't be complete if I didn't at least attempt Leah's homework - What a Starry Mess.
Front

Back
So next Wednesday is the day after Christmas, I'm hoping that I only have the Elephant quilt left on my WIP list. But for right now here are my stats for the week:

In-process: (4)
Purple heart wall hanging  (quilting and binding)
Elephant quilt
Storybook quilt # 2 - quilt the border and bind
Pod Pillow - add the button

New projects: (0)

Finished (0)
 
I'm linking up with  Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday and The Free Motion Quilting Project for QAL Wednesday



WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Free Motion Quilt Along

Color Me Quilty!

Pat

2 comments:

  1. huh! Thanks for sharing how to add borders to the quilt as you go blocks. That's really interesting. So it connects together just fine without waves or lumps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Have never seen borders done that way. Great idea. Hope i remember it when i need it next. You remind me of that little train engine that made it to the top of the mountain. It was a book i used to read to my kids. " i think i can, i think i can, I made it to the top! " Hope you have some R and R scheduled in there soon.

    ReplyDelete