Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sew Cal Gal October FMQ Challenge

Well, I didn't get blown away last night with Sandy. For all of you (and your loved ones) that are in harms way, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

We haven't lost power (YET), which is a bit surprising, we normally lose power at the drop of a hat. I guess we were too prepared, we had the generator set up and ready to go. I took the opportunity to work on my Sew Cal Gal FMQ challenge for October.

 I really tried hard to reach outside of my comfort zone with this month's challenge. Teri Lucas challenged us to try different threads and different materials. I had a bit of wool batting, that I have never used, so I used it. I like it!
 I also tried a lot of different threads! I was pretty successful with all but one of them.
12wt cotton sulky

King Tut cotton (not sure of the weight, but heavier than I'm used to)

Yenmet Metallic (Humphrey is my dog. He said he needed a little attention)

Yenmet Metallic

Not sure what this thread is, the label is gone. It was heavier than the 12wt Sulky. This was the only thread I could not get to stitch without issues.

Isacord polyester

Silk thread

Transparent thread
A lot of these threads were older, many of them had been my mother's thread. They all performed well above my expectations. What surprised me the most was the silk thread, I really like how well that stitched.

Today I'm linking up with Sew Cal Gal for the October FMQ Challenge. Can't wait to check out what everyone else created this month!

Color Me Quilty!

Pat

UPDATE: The first meeting of the Ithaca Modern Quilt Guild, that was scheduled for tonight, has been move to 1:00 p.m. this Sunday (November 4th) at Quilters Corner.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Pat! It was interesting to see how all the different threads looked. I liked the silk too, and I really liked the Isacord polyester. I've heard about both - I'm definitely going to have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thread that didn't perform well for you? I believe it looks like YLI Jeans stich. Its SUPER heavy. You'll need at least a size 100 or 110 needle for that baby... it's a challenge! Looks good and so fun to see you HAD FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a brave gal playing with all those thread choices. The silk looks like it quilted like butter and the isacord poly looks lovely too. Keep up the great work.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had fun, I have some silk embroidery thread and it is real nice to hand stitch with.

    ReplyDelete