Wednesday, January 11, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Time to Shut Up and Quilt!

Over the last 6 months or so, I have been learning how to free motion quilt (FMQ). I would really like to get better at it (more confident) this year, so I have signed up for several challenges and quilt-alongs (i.e. SewCalGals, Quokka Quilts and Quilt A Long Wednesdays on the Free Motion Quilting Project).  So I have several projects lined up to quilt and several practice projects to show.
First practice of stippling
Second practice piece. Better, still a few issues.

A few hooks/sharp points

Very odd shapes near the edge

Off the edge!

Leah Day said she would try to answer some of our questions, so my FMQ question this week is "How do you get up close to the edge of the quilt and still control the stitching?" I'm planning on quilting my Storybook quilts with a QAYG method. I want to be able to get up close to the edge, because I don't want to have to trim to much off of the blocks.

Okay, so on with the rest of my WIP!

I have all of the blocks done on my first Storybook quilt and all of the embroidery is done for the second Storybook quilt.
Star block

Plain block
One of my big questions with this quilt is what to quilt on it. Lisa from Day in the Life of Raising Six Little Munchkins suggested swirls. I like that idea, but will that work on all of the blocks (embroidered, pieced stars, and plain)? I will be adding 2" sashing to join them in a QAYG method. What do I quilt there? I would love to hear your opinions.
So on with my stats for the week:

In-process: (5)
Hip to be Square FMQ sampler (still at 14 out of 30 blocks quilted)
Purple heart wall hanging ( needs borders, backing, quilting and binding)
Expanding Possibilities quilt (needs backing, quilting and binding)
Storybook quilt # 1 -  Blocks are done
Storybook quilt # 2 - All embroidery is done
New projects in the cue to start: (3)
FLMQG solids challenge crib quilt (Not started)
New Wave quilt (not started)
Friend's baby quilt - fabric picked out!


Finished (0)

I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday and The Free Motion Quilting Project for Quilt A Long Wednesday!





WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


 






Color Me Quilty!


Pat

11 comments:

  1. Your stippling looks great!!! :) I've set up a flickr group for the QAYG but will do linky party next week :) http://www.flickr.com/groups/1883007@N21/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You stippling is coming along very nicely! The story book quilt is so pretty! Swirls do work as an overal quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat - I think your stippling looks awesome! When you posted a photo and mentioned hooks and sharp points, I had to go back and look closer at the photo. Seriously - the issues you're seeing are not obvious and I think you could definitely use this on a real quilt.

    As far as quilting to the edge - I usually leave 1 inch around the entire edge of a quilt or practice sandwich so I don't get those weird wobbly stitches. I'll even add an extra 2" border to a quilt just so I can quilt into half of it and not be stitching right to the edge.

    I hope that helps!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for showing your free motion quilting! I want to learn how to do that this year, and I know that it will take lots of practice. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smoothness of the curves in your stippling. Mine had lots more than just a few of the pointy hooks. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stippling looks great Pat! I think you are being too critical of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pat, I can relate to your post, I see every little thing that is wrong with my FMQ. I try to let it sit overnight, and then come back and look at it with a fresh pair of eyes. I usually find that it looks better than I think. Your stippling looks great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job with your FMQ - keep at it! Mine's not that good, but it gets better every time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You FMQ is great and you could see it got better on the second piece, well done and thank you for sharing. I think that the quilt along will be good for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your FMQ'ing is looking GREAT! I also find each time I do a new quilt it gets better and easier! I started FMQ'ing a year along after watching one of Leah Day's video. My husband bought my the 7700 for Christmas in 2010. Love it...and love all the tips and tricks from Leah. So glad she is starting this new FMG along. Carol http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/

    ReplyDelete